Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (EPCS)
- An electronic prescription is a prescription issued with an electronic signature and transmitted by electronic means
- BNE does not endorse a specific electronic prescribing software application for practitioners to use
- Identity proofing – the process by which a credential service provider or certification authority validates sufficient information to uniquely identify a person.
- In accordance with regulations of the NYS Commissioner of Health and the Commissioner of Education and consistent with federal requirements – A prescription generated on an electronic system that is printed out on Official New York State Prescription (ONYSRx) paper and manually signed or an ONYSRx transmitted via facsimile is not an electronic prescription
- Pharmacies accepting electronic prescriptions for controlled substances must submit their controlled substance dispensed data to BNE using the American Society for Automation in Pharmacy (ASAP) version 4.2
- Pharmacies may complete EPCS registration form DOH-5120
- Prescribers can register their certified software application online through the Health Commerce System
- Prior to prescribing or dispensing electronic prescriptions for controlled substances, the rescriber/pharmacy must register the certified computer software application with the Department of Health, Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement (BNE) at least every two years
- Provider’s registration process with State is separate and apart from the computer software application certification process
- Two-factor authentication credentials – the security credentials that allow the Provider to sign an electronic prescription. The DEA is allowing the use of two of the following – something you know (a knowledge factor – password), something you have (a hard or soft token stored separately from the computer being accessed), and something you are (biometric information)
We have deep hands-on experience with eRx and EPCS processes. We could help your Health System or Pharmacy Team with ePrescribing capabilities. We could bring to bear Allscripts Software Applications viz. AEHR, SCM, EDIS or Drfirst Software Application – Rcopia as part of our ePrescription Professional Services or end-to-end Project Management.
Reach out to our HealthCare IT Subject Matter Expert and Program Director – Manish Jaiswal @ 6466443049 or firstname.lastname@example.org for help around EMR, EHR, Tokens, BNE Registration, COAs, 2 Factor Authentication, Project Management, Identity Management, Single-Sign-On (SSO) etc.
Posted on June 21, 2015 | Categories: Analytics, Apps, Clinical Services, Consulting, Development Project Manager, EMR / EHR, ePrescription, eRx, Health Cusp, Health Insurance, HealthCare, HealthCare IT, Pharmacy Systems | Posted by: admin
Program Manager – Pharmacy Systems
TechCusp Program Manager for Pharmacy System can drive IT systems solutions to support your Pharmacy Operations. Pharmacy Project Managers could be hired Full Time / Part Time – Consultants for identifying and implementing new systems as well as enhancements / improvements to existing systems at your Health System. Our PM Develops operating procedures, strategies and plans to serve the internal and external users/customers that the systems support.
Pharmacy Program Manager (PM) – Hard Skills
- Collaborates with Pharmacy Operations leaders to ensure technical solutions are operationally sound and meet the needs of the business. Communicates issues, recommendation and implementation approaches to a range of audiences from the Pharmacy Operations leadership to technical audiences
- Develops operational guidelines and governance around processes. Ensures business solutions are consistent with operation guidelines
- Ensures that all enhancements/new systems are compliant with all Federal, state, municipal, and pharmacy boards. Maintains currency of current regulatory matters that affect the company and collaborates closely with Government Affairs on electronic prescribing
- Functions as Company subject matter expert on all Electronic Prescribing and eHealth activities to professional organizations
- Manages efforts for business requirements gathering and documentation, user acceptance testing (UAT) of initial concepts, approved enhancements, and testing with business partners.
- Presents results and insights regularly to leaders. Measures and ensures continued service optimization
- Prioritizes projects for implementation – functions as liaison between Pharmacy Operations and IT
- Provides leadership to develop, test, and deploy fully automated Electronic Prescribing solutions (eRx & EPCS) and programs that drives increased safety and efficiency in our pharmacies by eliminating the need for manual data entry
- Responsible for leading the identification of technology solutions that support Pharmacy Operations. Leads the design, build and deployment of new systems as well as enhancements/improvements to existing systems. Leads strategic development, implementation and maintenance of centralized routing work
- Reviews development ideas for all Pharmacy Operations systems and determines if ideas are viable for the business model
Pharmacy Program Manager (PM) – Soft Skills
- Experience of developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization
- Experience of directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work
- Experience of evaluating and determining if technology solutions are applicable to the business model
- Experience of implementing strategic initiatives which align with business goals and budget
- Experience of using business analytical skills including facilitating requirements sessions and documenting activity workflows and business requirements.
- Experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets
- Experience with project management (Planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives)
Our experienced Program Manager could help you with viz.:
- Discovery & Gap Analysis
- RFP & Vendor Selection
- System Implementation
- Workflows Management
- Project Management
Program Manager – HealthCare IT
Tags: EPCS, eRx, Health IT, Pharmacy IT, Pharmacy Manager, Pharmacy Systems, Program Manager - Pharmacy